April 30, 2017 by NYS BMP ·
Dollar spot, caused by the pathogen Sclerotinia homoeocarpa, is a common golf course disease in New York State. Besides using chemical controls, managers can plan to lessen disease incidence and severity with the following activities:
- Plant resistant cultivars of creeping bentgrass such as Memorial and Declaration.
- Minimize moisture stress and leaf wetness.
- Remove morning dew as early as possible.
- Roll putting greens three or more times per week.
- Apply biological organisms known to suppress dollar spot such as Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus subtilis, and Pseudomonas aureofaciens.
- Use horticultural oils (Civitas), labeled for the intended use both for treated area and pest, instead of or in conjunction with traditional fungicides.